P.K 6 PACK: MISTER PAPERCUT


The idea of anonymity is like you said to create a panopticon personality. I didn’t want my particular background to affect my work or how it was perceived.

POWDERKEG 2.0: So … Why papercuts? How was the idea for Mr. Papercut conceived?

Mister Papercut:   The papercuts reference the transient experience we have as humans in this world.  Everything little thing in our lives feels so important, always such a big deal, and although we are what brings life to cities, as individuals we are but short moments in a larger picture.  When creating street art, I started with that idea, that in part came from the layers of advertisement posters of events and such, that are plastered on top of each other, almost like an archive of a brief history of our lives.  So like these posters, I wanted to symbolize the ethereal presence we have in the streets, how everything feels like a ‘lifetime’, but soon enough, we too are washed away, like the paper in the rain, or removed by the city workers, painted over by artists, or demolished by new construction. I have, however, been creating more painted pieces, so to slightly extend the lifespan of my work on the street, although those too, like our efforts to live longer, are reduced by simply being painted over. 


P.K: Could you describe the concept of a panopticon personality? Does Mr. Papercut approach concepts of messianism?

Mister Papercut:  The idea of anonymity is like you said to create a panopticon personality. I didn’t want my particular background to affect my work or how it was perceived. Although it inevitably leaks into the work, I try to speak about different topics, that don’t necessarily affect me directly, but rather humanity as a whole. But the subjects that are most important to me, are those that I believe are at the root of life, and affect all of us. Life, mortality, and the human condition. 

Messianism, oof, that’s a strong word. I never really thought of it like that. It’s not about being a savior at all. I believe art should ask questions, and ask the viewer to do the same. I don’t expect my work to save anyone. But I do hope they appreciate what they have, and take what time they have to think deeper about events and things, and the point, meaning or importance behind everything.

P.K: Your work exhibits a considerable degree of social commentary. What's your opinion on artists as social commentators, can you say your opinion without any risk? Is current reality so “exposed” that there is null democracy to expression? How do you approach this based on Mister Papercut's lack of identity information?

Mister Papercut:  I think that everyone should have the right to speak openly about things that are important to them, or anything at all. Although, I do think it’s important to be mindful of the consequences of the things you say and understand the difference between free speech and the right to say anything at all. It’s not about any single one of us, but rather us as a whole. Having said that, part of the reason for my anonymity has been just so I can freely speak about topics, that I would perhaps otherwise be judged on as if I didn’t have a right to speak about them just because I wasn’t one particular race, gender, or of a particular social bracket.  


P.K:Your portfolio encompasses numerous instances of street art in Miami and various other cities, alongside extensive gallery exhibitions on a global scale, spanning the United States, Taiwan, and presently London. PK ardently perceives off-site "exhibitions" as sanctified realms, akin to sacred spaces that remain beyond reach. Do you find yourself inclined towards gallery shows, or do you experience a greater sense of liberation when taking your art to the streets?

Mister Papercut: I feel equally liberated to express myself in galleries and the streets. The main difference is the lack of time to create more detailed works on the streets, depending on exposure. This also applies to gallery shows, as I find sometimes that having one or two works in a show can also be limiting in expressing ideas on the big topics I wish to discuss.

I am extremely grateful and excited for my imminent solo show ‘VICES’ at D Contemporary, curated by Jonathan Fakinos @artcollectorsinc of @artcollectornews.  Probably my largest show so far, where I have been able to create an exhibition across 3 rooms in Mayfair, in the heart of London.  It is a show I’m quite proud of, and looks great if I do say so myself, so I hope you can make it out there from Friday July 14th.

PK: VICES: What is a Vice for Mister Papercut? Can you give us some insights on your upcoming London solo exhibition with D Contemporary?

Mister Papercut:   The idea of ‘VICES’ came from the idea of life, death, and how far we can go before living life to the fullest ends up being a Vice to the point of even bringing us closer to our own mortality even sooner. And perhaps ask the question, whether it is better to live a shorter ‘more fulfilled’ life, or a ‘safer’ longer one. Although, as we know, there is no guarantee of that either. As with most of my work, the pieces are not extremely specific to a particular narrative but rather create a loose idea around subjects using symbols in composed imagery or abstracted works, that both allow viewers to create their own narratives or simply think about the subjects, hopefully in new and different ways. 

+1 bonus: Will you go incognito to your solo? Also how tempted are you to place a Mister Papercut face on David Zwirner?

Mister Papercut:   I can’t really comment on whether or not I’ll be at the show, I will be in and out of London for a couple of weeks though. And as far as creating street art in the area, I don’t really want to get my gallery in any trouble as they have been such wonderful and gracious partners and hosts in this show. But I can’t help but scout new spots for work, so perhaps I’ll be creating some work in and around the area soon. 

+1 bonus:  If you could unlearn something, what would it be?

Mister Papercut:  This is quite a paradoxical question for me. I sometimes wish I knew far less and do believe “ignorance is bliss” to some extent. But equally, could not imagine going through life oblivious to reality. So a good balance for me is creating my own, or simply escaping it whenever it becomes a little too much.

Mister Papercut's first London solo exhibition opens Friday 14 July at D Contemporary, Mayfair, and is Curated by Jonathan Fakinos, the founder and director of ARTCOLLECTORNEWS.